Training a puppy? Stock up on puppy treats because you will need lots of them! Training should be a “pawsitive” experience for both you and your new dog, and puppy training treats will make it even better. Sure, toys and head pats are nice, but most dogs respond better to edible rewards. Here at Rover, Canada’s largest and most trusted network of dog walkers and pet-sitters, we know all about the best puppy treats for training – and the best puppy treats overall.
Puppy Training Tips
Puppy training should start as soon as you bring your new baby home. From leashing your puppy during the car ride home, to showing them their “potty spot”, the key to establishing house rules and a regular routine is starting as you mean to go on. Using kibble or treats as positive reinforcement teaches your puppy that good things come to those who behave.
Store Bought Treats
The list of deliciousness for training is endless. Crunchy or soft, large or small, there’s a training treat to suit every puppy palate. Understanding the list of ingredients can be tricky, so be sure to read the labels carefully. Look for local, Canadian-made treats made without artificial flavours or food dyes. Try to avoid non-specific ingredients and fillers. The Pet Food Association of Canada has listings of regulations to help puppy parents stay informed.
If you have the time and the inclination, the best training treats might be the ones that are made with love by you! Fruity or frozen, biscuits or cookies, dig through our archives for the best and easiest homemade treat ideas.
Good for People and Puppies
Chicken, cheese and peanut butter are all delicious human foods your dog will love too. These “high value” treats are ideal for training puppies. Some pups even love pureed baby food! Be mindful that rich foods like liver or beef can be hard on some tummies. Consider alternating between tiny pieces of “real food” and doggy treats to keep your puppy on its paws…or toes!
Top 5 Canadian-Made Healthy Treats
- Boreal Duck Blueberry, Salmon and Maple, or PB and Honey, these Canadian-made treats use single source protein combined with natural flavours for healthy treats that dogs love.
- Crumps Natural From mini trainers to apple bites and sweet potato fries, these tasty treats are healthy bites of deliciousness for dogs large and small.
- Great Jacks Liver-lovers rejoice! Liver is the star of these grain-free goodies.These treats may be great for training, but they’re beloved by dogs of all ages and stages.
- Northern Biscuit Bakery These low-cal treats are made in small batches with fresh, food-grade ingredients. With 100% compostable packaging, you can feel good about buying these for your pup.
- Woof Organics These organic biscuits come in pumpkin, blueberry or banana and sweet potato with human-quality ingredients (in case you’re tempted to try them yourself!)