- This post contains affiliate links. Read more here.
Does this sound familiar? You buy your dog a cushy place to sleep, and before you know it, she’s torn out all the stuffing. Some dogs just can’t seem to resist the urge to abuse their bedding. If that’s the case, it’s time to get serious. We’ve rounded up super-tough (but still cosy!) options for the chewers, shredders, and diggers of the world, including one failsafe winner approved by shelters and vets everywhere.
Whether you have a teething puppy, a troubled teen, or an anxious adult, here are some steps you can take to prolong the life of any dog bed:
- Make sure your dog gets lots of mental and physical exercise and play every day, especially prior to nap or crate time.
- Interrupt any destruction and immediately redirect chewing to an appropriate item.
- Limit the length of alone time with a pet sitter who offers dog boarding, or break up a long day with a Rover.com dog walker or drop-in visit.
- KONGs and other puzzle toys keep your dog busy while you’re away.
- Bitter Apple applied daily will help your dog resist gnawing on his surroundings.
This durable but comfy dog bed from P&L is filled with thermal polyester fibre to keep your dog warm even if the floor is cold. Its waterproof, heavy duty, polyester cover is highly chew-resistant and comes in a variety of colours.
This tough, waterproof mattress from Ginger Ted fits nicely into crates. Filled with insulating polyester wadding, the comfy bed is available in three different colours and sizes.
This cushy dog bed with a hard-wearing, waterproof cover comes in four sizes and five designs, including tartan and paw print patterns.
Orvis has two styles of dog bed featuring their ToughChew ripstop nylon fabric removable cover. One is the bolster style, featured above, and the second is a simpler cushion-style bed. Both are rated chew-resistant, and while more expensive than some other beds on this list, they do have a good reputation. Coupled with the 100% satisfaction guarantee, these tough dog beds are a great option for the destructive dog in your life.
The not-so-secret weapon in the war against chewing, Kuranda durable dog beds are designed with unrepentant chewers in mind. Heavy-duty tubular support made of poly resin or aluminium pipes hides and protects the fabric platform. There are lots of sizes, covers, and upgrades available, and all have a one-year warranty. These indestructible beds are used and loved by shelters and rescue centres, so you know they’re tough!