- This post contains affiliate links. Read more here.
Crate training has many advantages for you and your dog, as we’ve explained elsewhere. Once you’ve bought a crate that suits your dog, there are a few reasons why you might want to wrap it in a crate cover. Covering a wire crate can be calming for a dog, as it creates a quieter, den-like atmosphere. It can also be useful to block a dog’s sightlines, for example, if you have multiple dogs who find seeing each other in adjacent crates to be less than restful.
In a pinch, you can cover a crate with a blanket or towel, a simple hack many of us have been using for years. But it’s far from ideal: it doesn’t stay on, and a bored dog can pull it off and even pull it into the crate. A proper crate cover will fit properly, stay on, and have various options for easily opening panels, doors, and windows.
If you’re tired of the look of a wire crate, you can dress it up in fabrics that match your decor. You can also get covers that can be used both indoors and outdoors, which can be useful for dog shows and outings. For travel, especially in cold weather, you can also get covers for travel kennels, which are somewhat more specialized and usually intended for dog sports but can be similarly useful for calming and privacy.
Without further ado, here are the top 11 dog crate covers we’ve selected based on price, quality, brand reputation, and user reviews.
This is a basic, inexpensive crate cover. MidWest is a common brand of crate, so one advantage of this one is that it will fit perfectly if that’s what you’ve got. There are two types of fabric available. The solid black is polyester; the other is a poly/cotton blend with stain protection that comes in two patterns and in a solid gray.
- Comes in six sizes, from 22 to 48 inches
- Design allows use of both front and side doors on two-door crates
- Can be machine washed and dried
- Side panels, which are held closed by velcro, can be rolled up and fastened to allow ventilation and a view
If you’re not concerned with using your crate outdoors or for travel, maybe your goal is to make sure you have something nicer to look at than plain wire and keep your dog calm and comfortable at the same time. Molly Mutt offers a range of crate covers made of 100% cotton canvas in 26 different fun colors and patterns, and they’re all machine washable.
- Available for 24 to 54 inch wire crates
- Can use both front and side crate doors
- Panels snap closed
This crate cover is similar in style to the MidWest in that you can roll up the sides, but this one also comes with a window screen for one side that attaches to the velcro strip that otherwise holds the side panels in place. This allows ventilation, light, and a view out, but keeps out insects.
- Comes in seven sizes from 18 to 48 inches
- Material is breathable high density polyester
- Note that machine washing and dry cleaning are not recommended
- Outside fabric has stain and water resistant coating
Bowhaus NYC has a range of stylish crate covers in a variety of fabrics. These have a fancy scalloped rim along the top that makes it look like your crate has its own window treatments. The fabric is heavyweight cotton and comes in 13 choices of color/pattern.
- Works with both doors on two door crates
- Dry clean only
- Four sizes from 24 to 42 inches
This cover is different from the last two in that it is held closed with a back zipper rather than by velcro along the sides of the panels. It is made of heavy-duty, water resistant nylon. Because of the style, the entire side panels don’t roll up–instead, there are two small side windows, allowing ventilation but a little more privacy.
- Available in five sizes, from 24 to 48 inches
- Only the front/end door can be used with this cover
- Top panel can also be opened
While the covers above claim to be usable outside, for prolonged outdoor use you may want something sturdier. K9 Ballistics specializes in the tough stuff, with a proprietary waterproof fabric and triple stitched seams. This works for both single and double door crates and also has a panel on top to access the handle.
- Machine washable
- Available in four colors
- Four sizes range from 24 to 48 inches
If you really want to be able to coordinate your crate with your decor, Bowsers is the way to go. The cover style is no frills—just an opening that rolls up for the front door—but the selection of fabrics can’t be beat: 62 choices in all, so you’re sure to find a match.
- Comes in 14 basic colors with both solid color and patterned choices
- 8 different fabric types
- Machine wash and dry
If you don’t need your crate to look like you’re ready to appear in a home design magazine and just want a super cute cover for a toy dog that doesn’t break the bank, here you go. The fabric is patterned with cute little animals and it’s pink, of course. There’s even a little frill all the way around the top.
- Only works for side door, so make sure you have a two-door crate
- Machine washable
- Door flap closes with velcro
For the real outdoorsperson, there are covers for travel crates that are perfect for outdoor dog sports. The Mud River Dixie Insulated Kennel Cover even works for winter sports, as it’s made with an insulated fabric that’s said to retain and reflect the dog’s body heat. It has window flaps on the side for ventilation. As it’s intended for sporting breeds, the range of sizes is slightly limited.
- Four sizes, 32 to 40 inches
- Has multiple storage pockets on the outside
- Two handles for carrying
- Not machine washable; spraying off with a hose is recommended
This is a similar insulated sport travel crate cover but with a little less fuss, as it lacks the outside pockets. It has zippered windows on the sides and is water and wind resistant. You put this on over the top of the kennel; the opening is on the bottom.
- Only comes in three sizes – 33.5 to 41 inches
- Patented insulated fabric retains your dog’s body heat
- Camouflage pattern fabric
If you want a cover for a travel crate but winter sports are not your thing, the insulated version may be overkill. In that case, Arctic Shield also offers a cover that isn’t insulated. The fabric is water and wind resistant and it has a zippered door and zippered windows on the sides and two carry handles on the top.
- Only comes in three sizes – 33.5 to 41 inches
- Winter Moss color polyester fabric
- Goes on over top of kennel and secures with elastic bottom hem
For more about crate training and choosing the right crate for your dog, continue your research with one of the articles below.
- The 6 Best Crates for Small Dogs in 2020
- The Best Dog Crates for Stress-Free Travel
- How to Crate Train a Puppy