Thank you for your interest in joining our community of Rover.com sitters! Rover.com was founded on the belief that dogs deserve to stay in safe, loving homes while their owners travel, and Rover.com is building a community of dog-lovers to fulfill that vision.
Founded and operated by dog lovers, Rover.com is enabling a cage-free experience for dogs at a more affordable price than traditional boarding options.
Step 1: Sign up
Starting the process to be a sitter is as easy as clicking ‘Sign Up,’ which is located in the upper right hand corner of the site.
After clicking ‘Sign Up,’ you will be asked to create your account. You will need to enter the information as seen below. The email address you enter will be the address that receives notifications from Rover.com, so make sure to enter an email address that you access regularly. The password you use in this signup field will be the password you use to log into your Rover account.
You can also sign up with Facebook which will automatically create a Rover account for you.
Step 2: Create your profile
Once you have created your account, you will be prompted to select the dog sitting service you’d like to offer. You will only be able to choose one to start, but don’t worry, you can set up the other after the first is completed. The two types of dog sitting are:
- Sitting In My Home : You are offering to host dogs in your home
- Traveling Sitting : You are offering to travel to the dog owner’s home
Select the service you’d like to offer:
Once you select the service you will offer, a page will load asking you to fill in the following information:
- Property type (Only asked for home sitting)
- Max Distance (In miles, only if you are setting up Traveling Sitting)
- Spaces available (Only asked for home sitting)
- Dog Sizes
- Nights Available
- Protection Package
- Rover deals
- Your Address
Once you fill out all of this information, click ‘Save and Continue.’ This will take you to this page:
Step 3: Next steps
- Fill out the Extended Profile. This included detailed questions such as:
- Are you comfortable administering medication?
- Where will your Rover dog sleep?
- How long have you been a dog lover?
- Tell us about your history with dogs.
- Fill out the Services & Rates section. This will allow you to set additional pricing for any (and all) of the following:
- Additional Dogs
- Extended Stays
- Dog Grooming
- Pick up/Drop off charges
- Dog Walking
- Cat Care
Fill out the Experience & Training section. You can indicate whether you have the following experience and/or training:
- Pet CPR & First Aid Training
- Membership to Pet Sitter Organizations
- Volunteer & Donor Experience
Edit your Calendar & Availability. It is important to keep this up to date to avoid any inquiries where you are already unavailable. This section allows you to:
- If you are available for extended stays (longer than 1 week)
- Select which days of the week you are willing to dog sit
- Update & block of calendar dates where you are unavailable (ex: vacation, moving, etc)
- Set your status as “Away” if you want to take a break from receiving inquires without removing your profile from the site.
Fill out the Donation Pledges section.
- Would you like to donate a percentage of your Rover income to one of our partner organizations?
- If so, you can indicate that here
- If not, skip this section
- Upload Photos of you and your home. You can upload as many photos as you’d like, but there must be a minimum of 3. See the section below for examples of high quality photos.
Upload Photos of you and your home. You can upload as many photos as you’d like, but there must be a minimum of 3. See the section below for examples of high quality photos.
- One photo needs to be of you
- Our best profiles feature 5 or more pictures and include photos of the sitter’s home (inside and outside)
- You can upload as many photos as you’d like, but there must be a minimum of 3. One photo needs to be of you. See the section below for examples of high quality photos.
Promote Yourself by acquiring a Testimonial or adding TrustCloud.
- To acquire a testimonial:
- Click on the Dashboard tab,
- Next, click on the Orange icon (as seen below).
- You can also post your profile to Craigslist by clicking on the Purple icon (as seen below) and following our detailed instructions
Commonly Asked Questions:
What is a tagline?
A tagline is the first thing a dog owner will see on your profile. Think of it like a subject line in an email. What can you write to grab someone’s attention? Be creative and fun! Here is an example of where the tagline will show:
What should I put for my price per night?
One of the great things about Rover.com is you choose your own price per night. The average price per night ranges from $20 to $35. To get a feel for what other sitters charge, do a quick search of your own zip code and view some sitter profiles.
What is the Protection Package?
The Preferred Sitter Package includes additional benefits that help protect your Rover dogs. It is an annual charge of $49.95 that is deducted from your first completed stay. Dog owners see the perks as an added bonus which includes: access to a licensed veterinarian, a Help4Pets tag and many other perks. You can read more about our Protection Package here:
Why do I need to verify my phone number?
Verifying your phone is an easy step to ensure the phone number we have on file for you is valid. The verification process can be completed by receiving a text message or phone call which will include a 5 digit code. You will then enter the code you receive to verify the number. The process takes a few seconds and there are many benefits to verifying your phone number including ensuring the number is active and accessible. We send notifications to your phone via text message to let you know of new requests or responses from an owner. If you are having trouble verifying your phone, make sure you are using the most updated web browser such as Google Chrome or Firefox.
What do I put in my description?
Your description is the very first section in your profile. We recommend including some information about you. Why should someone choose you? How much do you love dogs? What is your experience with dog sitting? What is your schedule like – do you stay at home or work? Including information such as “I’m doing this for extra cash” may get you less bookings than “I love dogs and would love to have yours over!”
What should my description look like?
Here is an example on how a completed profile looks. Note the thorough responses to all questions and the quality of information provided:
What are high quality photos?
High quality photos are clear & accurately depict your home & yourself. Blurry or inappropriate photos will result in your profile not being approved until they are updated. Here are some examples of high quality photos:
What is a testimonial?
Testimonials are great ways for others to read about your real life experience with another dog. They can be completed by a friend, family member or past dog owner. One of the requirements for a completed profile is to acquire at least one testimonial. Here is an example of what a testimonial might look like:
How can I get a review?
Reviews can only be given by a dog owner who has used your services on Rover.com. Once you complete your first booking, the dog owner will be asked to rate their stay with you. They will choose a star rating (bewteen 1 and 5 stars) and write about their experience with you. The star rating & written review will be publicly visible on your profile for other dog owners to see. The rating system is out of 5 stars; 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest.
Step 4: Make sure you have completed all steps
Once you have finished setting up your profile, you will want to see if you have anything left to do. To see what you have left, click the ‘Services’ tab. Your profile may look like this:
Click on the Orange ‘Steps Remaining’ link to see what you still need to complete. A good way to add more information to your profile is to complete the Extended Profile. To do this, Click ‘Edit Profile’ as seen in the image above, then click ‘Extended Profile’ which will be a tab listed on the left hand side.
Step 5: Your profile is complete and submitted for review
Once you complete all steps, your profile will be submitted for review. Your Rover profile will display the following message:
The profile approval process will depend on the number of applicants in your area. You will receive an email letting you know when your profile is approved or if it requires additional changes.
Step 6: Add your dog to your profile
Do you have a dog? When you add your dog to your profile, it helps dog owners filter their search results to look for homes with or without other dogs. If you don’t have a dog, that’s no problem! People looking for homes without dogs can indicate that and you will show in their search results. Here is how they can filter the results:
To add your dog to your profile, go to your Dashboard tab and click Add a Dog at the bottom right.
Enter the following information about your dog then Save.
After you enter the information about your dog, you will be directed to this page:
Next: add information about your dog:
- Basic Profile allows you to edit your dogs weight, age, breed and name
- Extended Profile allows you to answer specific questions about your dog such as ‘Is your dog Microchipped?’ and ‘Does your dog get along with kids?’
- Care Instructions allows you to enter information about your dog such as feeding schedule, bathroom schedule and any other helpful tips. If you don’t plan on using Rover.com for your own dog, filling out this step isn’t necessary.
- Veterinary Information allows you to enter the contact information for your vet
- Photos allows you to upload cute photos of your pup!
Step 7: Your profile reviewed and approved!
Congratulations – you are now an active sitter on Rover.com! To see what your public profile looks like, click ‘View Public Profile’ on your Dashboard tab or you can simply do a search of your own zip code/city. Utilize the map feature on the right hand side to see your exact profile location. If your profile needs a little more information before it is made public, don’t worry! We will let you know.
Now that your profile is public, check out our FAQ section for in-depth information on how Rover.com works. It can be found here:
Promote your services to get new business!
You can promote your dog sitting profile several ways.
- Connect to Facebook
- This will show potential clients if you have any mutual friends.
- Post your profile to Craigslist.
- You can do this by following the icon on your Dashboard.
- You can find even more ways to promote your Rover profile here!
Welcome to the Rover.com Community!