Congrats on becoming a certified on-demand walker! Now it’s time for your first walk. Check out this post for all the details you’ll need to remember before, during, and after your walk. Refer back to it anytime you need a refresher.
Before the walk
Message the owner when you book your walk
- As soon as you accept a walk, be sure to reach out to the owner to see if they have any questions for you. This shows that you’re a professional and communicative caregiver, and will help them know their dog is in good hands.
Read up on your Rover dog
- Open your inbox and select “Upcoming”. Here you can find information left by the owner about the Rover dog you will be walking. Make sure to take note of any specific instructions or details about the dogs behavior (i.e. they like to pull or are afraid of bikes).
Let the owner know when you’re on the way
- When you’re heading to the owner’s home to walk their dog, send them a message to let them know you’re on the way. Whether or not they’re home, the owner will appreciate knowing their dog is getting the care they need.
Arrive on time
- Before accepting a walk, make sure you can start walking within 15 minutes of the scheduled start time, factoring in time for travel, parking, etc. The best walkers sometimes start a walk up to 15 minutes before its scheduled start time to be able to take another walk right after. Using this extra buffer is a great way to fit more walks into your day, but be sure to notify the owner of your arrival time with plenty of notice.
During the walk
Entering and exiting a client’s home
- You can find information on entering the home in the “home entry instructions” section of the booking confirmation. Owners may have hidden keys, door codes, lockboxes or doorman, so make sure to read instructions carefully.
- Open the door slightly while you ease in, making sure to block the opening with your body to keep your Rover dog safely inside. Quickly step inside and shut the door behind you.
- When you head out for your walk, lock up and leave the key in the same place the owner left it, so you don’t have to worry about losing it.
Greeting your Rover Dog
- To make sure your Rover dog feels comfortable, crouch down with your side towards them, let them approach you, pet their sides instead of their face to avoid startling them, give them owner-approved treats, avoid eye contact, and be patient.
Start the Rover Card
- When you leave the owner’s home and are beginning your walk, make sure to hit START on the Rover Card. This will track your time, distance, and route. This is also where you will track the dog’s pees/poops, water breaks, and submit photos.
Have a safe, fun walk and be attentive
- Make sure the harness/collar is appropriately fitted before leaving the home.
- Refresh your knowledge on harnesses and collars here.
- Keep a firm grip on the leash with two points of contact.
- Be aware of your surroundings and look out for any potential triggers.
- Stay away from other dogs and strangers (i.e. don’t go into busy public spaces or dog parks).
- Keep your dog on-leash at all times.
Take photos of your Rover dog
- Owners love to see pictures of their dog enjoying their walk!
- Don’t forget though: Safety is still the #1 priority. Find a safe, secure area to stop, keep a firm grip on the leash, take images that are clear, and make sure the dog looks relaxed and happy.
After the walk
Return your Rover dog
- When returning your Rover dog to their home, keep the dog on-leash until the door is completely shut behind them. Put the harness and leash back where you found it, fill up the water bowl, and clean up any mess from dirty paws.
- Lock up and put the key back where you found it.
Submit your Rover Card
- Before submitting your Rover Card, make sure to leave a detailed note letting the owner know how your walk went. You will need to include photos to submit your Rover Card.
- You must submit your Rover Card to receive payment. After 48 hours, funds will be deposited into your Rover Wallet.
Thanks for being an on-demand walker! We’re so happy to have you as part of our awesome walker community. If you have questions, need support, or want to offer feedback, please don’t hesitate to text our team at 206-207-8863. We’re here for you every step of the way.