Valentine’s Day means flowers, chocolates, and popping some bubbly—with your human date, of course! While getting your home prepped for date night, keep your dog in mind, too. It’s important to make sure your furry valentine is safe from potentially harmful holiday treats and decor.
- Chocolate: Boxes of chocolate say “I love you,” but not to dogs. This treat is toxic to pets. If your dog gets into chocolate, make sure to take her to a vet.
- Sugar-Free Candy: Other fun edible treats, like candy hearts, contain a substitute sugar called xylitol that is very toxic to dogs. Even a small amount can be dangerous.
- Flowers: Roses are red and violets are blue…but flowers aren’t safe for your pup. Some flowers that are harmful to pets include lilies, baby’s breath, carnations, oleander, tulips, chrysanthemums, amaryllis, and daffodils.
- Alcohol: If your pet wants to have a drink with you, it should be water! Ingesting alcohol could be harmful, so best not to give your dog even a sip.
- Decorations: Make sure your pet stays away from balloons, fake flower petals, and string or ribbons, as they could be a choking hazard.
Dogs are great at finding things we think are out of reach, so make sure to put away anything that may be a hazard. If a pet does get into anything they shouldn’t, give us a call at 888-727-1140, the Rover emergency line. Our team is here 24/7 to assist you.