What are the requirements to become a Rover walker?
You’ll need to:
- Complete your Rover profile.
- Pass the enhanced background check.
- Pass the Rover walker certification.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be available on weekdays.
- Have the latest Rover app.
How does on-demand walking work?
Once you’re certified, you’ll be able to offer on-demand walks whenever you like. Here’s how it works:
- You’ll get an app notification when an owner near your home requests a walk.
- Open the request, read about the dog, and see when they need a walk. “Now” requests start within 30 minutes.”Later” requests are scheduled for a future day and time (“later” walks also include walks that repeat every week).
- If it’s a good fit, accept the walk in the app. You’ll receive $12 per walk, plus $3 per additional dog. (Walkers in San Francisco receive $15 per 30-minute walk, plus $3 per additional dog.)
Note: You don’t need to wait for requests to come to you—simply open the “requests” tab in the app to see all walk requests in your city.
Can I offer other services besides on-demand walking?
Absolutely! In addition to on-demand, you can turn on these other services:
- walks where owners contact you directly
- dog boarding
- house sitting
- doggy day care
- drop-in visits
Here’s how other services work:
- You’ll maintain a calendar that tells owners when you’re available, and owners will contact you directly on Rover.
- If you like, meet the owner and dog in person before you book.
- When you’re ready, simply book and pay on Rover. You’ll keep 80% of what you earn. The other 20% helps us cover benefits including processing payments and ongoing promotion of Rover dog walkers and sitters, as well 24/7 support, important site maintenance, and product improvements.
If I book an on-demand walk with a dog owner, can they book with me again?
Yes! In addition to on-demand walks, you can turn on a setting that allow owners to contact you directly for walks. For those walks, you’ll set your own rate and keep 80% of your earnings.
What’s the certification process like?
The certification focuses on two different pieces: general walker information—including dog safety—and how to use the app.
Here’s what to expect:
- Once you complete your profile, our sitter team will review it (generally within 5 business days). If your profile is approved, you’ll get an email and text with details about starting your certification.
- Answer additional questions about availability, locations you’d like to walk, and more. Receive information on collars and harnesses, the app, and safety and service expectations, and take quizzes along the way.
- The final step step is an in-person harness check—show us what you’ve learned!
Your certification should take about 2-3 days to complete. Once you’re certified, you’ll be able to accept walks anytime you like.
Why do I need to get certified?
Rover walkers are part of The Dog PeopleTM. Being a dog person includes doing everything you can to deliver 5-star care, and the walking certification plays a huge part in this. Your certification helps you:
- Get the confidence you need to take care of all kinds of dogs—and to avoid safety mishaps.
- Earn the trust of dog owners who may not meet you before you walk their dogs.
- Learn how to use the app. You’ll use the app to book walks, access care instructions, send Rover Cards, and more.
How much should I charge for dog walks?
For on-demand walks:
- You’ll receive $12 per 30-minute walk, plus $3 per additional dog. (Walkers in San Francisco receive $15 per 30-minute walk, plus $3 per additional dog.)
- You’ll receive $18 per 60-minute walk, plus $3 per additional dog. (Walkers in San Francisco receive $21 per 60-minute walk, plus $3 per additional dog.)
For all other walks:
- You’ll set your own rate and keep 80% of your earnings.
- The other 20% helps us cover benefits including processing payments and ongoing promotion of Rover dog walkers and sitters, as well 24/7 support, important site maintenance, and product improvements.
- To choose your rate, we suggest seeing what other dog walkers in your neighborhood are charging and setting a rate similar to theirs. You can change it anytime.