Rover.com surveyed dog owners across Denver and uncovered some fun, fascinating stats about the dog lifestyle in Colorado’s biggest city. How often do Denver dogs get a walk (and why doesn’t it always happen?) Do Denver dog parents sometimes, er, leave their dog’s poop behind?
Read on for more. Some of these results may surprise you.
Denver’s Dog Walking Habits
Let’s Go For a Walk
- 30% of Colorado dog owners say their dog only gets 1-2 walks per week, and 45% believe their dog needs to go for more walks.
- On the other side of the spectrum, 24% of dog owners say they walk their dog nine or more times per week.
- While the majority of Colorado dog owners don’t think they need a dog walker (81%), nearly half feel their dog needs more walks.
- The most common reasons why Colorado dog owners don’t walk their dogs are being too busy (28%), bad weather (24%) and being lazy (17%).
- Most pet parents in Colorado say their dog gets 30-60 minutes of exercise per day.
Pet Parents in the Dog House
- Almost a third of dog owners (29%) admit that they’ve left their dog’s poop behind after a walk, while 7% claim they don’t remember if they did or not.
- 32% of dog owners have used the excuse “I need to go home and walk my dog” to get out of a date, social event, work or awkward situation.
- Women are 16% more likely to use their dog as an excuse
Dogs Will Be Dogs
- 71% of dog owners say their dog likes to make eye contact with them while going to the bathroom.
- 3 out of 4 dog owners say their dog keeps stopping to mark its territory even after its tank is empty.
Denver Dog Facts
- Denver is one of the top 10 most dog-friendly cities in the country.
- Denver is among the cities with the highest number of the pet sitters and dog walkers per capita in the U.S.
- According to Whistle, Colorado Springs & Denver are the most popular cities for large dogs over 50 pounds.
Rover Dog Walking in Denver
- In Denver, we have more than 3,500 Rover dog walkers.
- In the past year alone, dogs have walked more than one million miles with Rover dog walkers.
If you’re in the Denver area, check out some of our favorite hikes for dogs around the city.