Selecting the perfect dog name, like finding the right dog sitter, is a task that pet parents take seriously. Here at Rover, you could say we’re obsessed with pet names. As the world’s largest network of pet sitters and dog walkers and leading dog name experts, we can’t wait each year to dig into our database of over a million dogs to determine which names are leading the pack. In the process, we uncover the big cultural moments that inspire us. Start with the most popular names below and then explore further with our collection of dog name lists.
Top 100 Male Dog Names
Top 100 Female Dog Names
Pet Name Trends
Our dogs are our family. In fact, over 94% of pet parents consider their dog a member of the family. We suspect that’s why a full 36% of all dog first names are decidedly human. (This trend started a while back and is going strong.)
Retro Names Are Hotter Than Ever
Old-timey names are up 17% year over year—just like (human) kiddos.
Pop Culture Stays On Top
Pet parents draw inspiration from our favorite TV shows, movies, and music. This year, pop culture-inspired names stayed popular, representing 16% of all dogs.
Celebrity Baby Names
When it comes to dogs, pet parents are seeing stars. The top 5 celebrity baby names used for dogs were:
Showing Love for our Favorite Music Idols
- Cardi ← up 1,250%
- Freddie Mercury ← up 67%
- Gambino ← up 190%
Sci-Fi for the Win
Top Trending Movies for Pup Names
- Guardians of the Galaxy – up 97%
- Drax is up 186%!
- Rogue One – up 52%
- Wonder Woman – up 38%
- Thor – up 34%
- Avengers – up 33%
- Black Panther – up 25%
Westworld Names Are on the Rise
- Maeve – up 127%
- Dolores – up 87%
- Logan – up 45%
- Elsie – up 22%
- Teddy – up 19%
Good Dogs Named After Bad Guys
Dogs called after popular villains are trending up 18%.
Dogs named Pennywise increased 500% this year!
The US is Going Royal
It was a big year for the royal family and pet parents are following suit. Dogs named after the royal family are up 11%.
Top Royal Names for Dogs
Both Prince Harry and Meghan are both up year over year, 133% and 129% respectively.
Dog People Are Nerds at Heart
Our dogs are products of the internet era. From tech to video games to viral hits, the way we name them reflects the world around us.
“Fortnite” names are trending up
Foodie Names Are On the Rise
This year, we called our dogs after our favorite dishes. In fact, 5% of all dogs’ monikers are food-themed. And brunch names are up 12% year over year.
Booze-themed names are up 17% year over year. Top alcohol-inspired picks include:
These food names saw the biggest jumps:
Top Dog Names by City
Local favorites vary from coast to coast. Check out the top picks in your city!
How We Choose
Rover surveyed pet parents nationwide this year to find out what inspired them to select their dog’s name. Check out the results.
- 12% were inspired by a food or beverage
- 5% chose a name for a city or geographic location
- 12% drew from an animal, plant or nature
- 12% have named their dog after a famous or historical person
- 33% picked a character from a TV show, video game, movie or book
- 10% have called their dog after someone they know
- 4% chose the name of a brand
Fun Dog Name Facts
That same survey revealed some fascinating truths about pet parents.
- People with toy-sized dogs are most likely to call their dogs after someone they know.
- Three out of four pet parents picked their dog’s name after meeting so they could find one to fit their dog’s personality.
- 38% of dog owners changed their dog’s name after adopting him/her.
- More than a third of pet parents have met a dog who shares their human name, and 12% have had it happen to them multiple times!
- Men and women are equally likely to meet a dog who shares their name.
- Millennial pet parents are more likely to meet a dog who shares their name.
- 81% of pet parents give their dogs nicknames, with most owners giving their dogs three or more!
Find out what your name would be if you’d been born a dog: try Rover’s Dog Name Generator. We’ll crunch the numbers, comparing baby name rankings from your birth year to give you a pet name of equal popularity. Give it a whirl!
The Bottom Line
As die-hard dog lovers here at Rover, we find pet names fascinating, and we love to discover hot trends, quirky choices, and unique twists on classics. Over the years, we’ve compiled plenty of names for you to peruse—and we keep our lists updated with new data each year.
To start, jump over to unique dog names to see the contrast. But that’s only the beginning. Check out the cutest choices, creative finds, top picks for black dogs, white dogs, and names from a variety of cultures and languages like Irish, Japanese, Hawaiian, and Spanish.
Once you have that perfect pick for your puppy or adopted family member, show it off with a customized collar.
Top Names Infographic
Need Dog Care?
You’ve named your dog. Now grow your pack with a 5-star Rover sitter and dog walker. We’re here for you, rain or shine.