No! Naproxen, sold under the brand name Aleve, is toxic to dogs even in small amounts—as little as a single pill can cause kidney damage and internal bleeding leading to death. Up to half of pet poisonings are caused by medications meant for people. These drugs are tested on and intended for humans, not dogs or other pets.
You should always keep medications out of reach of your dog, in sturdy containers. There are nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) developed specifically for dogs, which your vet can prescribe. You should never administer painkillers to your dog without your vet’s guidance.
If your dog ingests Aleve, they need emergency veterinary care. Do not wait for warning signs. Untreated, they will likely experience these symptoms of poisoning:
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain
- Gum discoloration
Ultimately, consuming Aleve can kill your dog. If you suspect ingestion, seek immediate care.
For More Information
We’ve got tons of articles about which foods are safe or dangerous for your dog, from common snacks to fruits. You might also be interested in “Can I Give My Dog Zyrtec?”