- This post contains affiliate links. Read more here.
Is your Great Dane getting the restful sleep he needs to live his best life? If his sleeping arrangements are less than optimal, perhaps it’s time to purchase a quality dog bed.
A Great Dane’s giant size, however, presents a unique challenge to pet owners when it comes to buying the perfect dog bed. Not to worry—we’ve done the grunt work for you and rounded up the top beds in the market.
But first, let’s take a look at why your Great Dane needs a proper dog bed.
1. Because of their giant size, Great Danes are prone to arthritic conditions—so a good dog bed is an investment in their long-term health. A high-quality dog bed will lower your dog’s risk of developing joint problems later in life.
2. A bed provides your dog with his own safe haven. Ever feel like you need a place of your own to retreat to once in a while? Chances are, so does your dog. Give him a peaceful and cozy space to curl up.
3. Simply put, a dog bed will help preserve your furniture. Giving your Great Dane his own place to snooze will discourage him from lounging on your designer sofa.
OK, so you’re convinced your Great Dane should have his own sleeping quarters. But how do you select the one that’s right for him?
1. Size matters: It kind of goes without saying, but you’re gonna need a jumbo-sized bed. These enormous dogs can reach up to 200 pounds and stand at a height of 32 inches. If his bed isn’t big enough, your Great Dane just won’t be comfortable.
2. Indestructible is the way to go: Your Great Dane might resemble a bull in a china shop, so he needs a bed that’s sturdy and can hold up to his antics. You’ll also want to choose a bed that’s long-lasting and won’t flatten quickly.
3. Orthopedic is preferable: According to PetMD, Great Danes are prone to hip dysplasia, and many suffer other joint ailments. Keep his joints and bones comfortable with an orthopedic memory foam dog bed.
4. Watch out for washability: A bed of this size probably won’t fit in a washing machine, so look for a bed with a removable cover.
Now, without further ado, here are our top recommendations for the best dog beds for Great Danes with reviews.
The folks at Big Barker truly understand the unique needs of giant breed dogs. They’ve created a supportive and durable dog bed with Great Danes specifically in mind.
The glowing reviews for this bed are through the roof. One happy customer praised the bed’s quality build, American-made foam supports, 10-year warranty, and the added bonus that these beds are made in the US by a small family-run business.
- Offers premium joint support
- Retains 90 percent of its shape for 10 years (or they’ll replace it!)
- Stays cool by using “open cell” foam (as opposed to memory foam)
- Removable, washable cover
- Made in the USA with American materials
- Headrest provides extra comfort
We all know the benefits of a good night’s sleep, and with The Dog’s Bed Premium Orthopedic edition, that’s exactly what your Great Dane will get. Made with memory foam to relieve painful joint issues, this bed is especially suited for elderly or arthritic dogs.
- Improves sleep with medical grade orthopedic support
- Memory foam relieves painful pressure points
- Waterproof and machine washable
- Comes in four sizes and colors
Your Great Dane will love lounging on this high-end, therapeutic dog bed. Designed to evenly distribute your dog’s weight, KOPEK’s Sofa Lounge Bed soothes sore muscles and provides extra comfort.
- Hypoallergenic memory foam mattress
- Soft suede cover provides additional comfort
- Removable waterproof liner
- Rubberized bottom prevents sliding
This massive bed is the perfect size for your gentle giant. It’s firm orthopedic foam supports joints while the plush pillow top and premium fabrics provide luxurious comfort. This bed hits high marks for coziness.
- Medical grade foam provides superior support
- Detachable plush pillowtop surface
- Luxurious, stylish fabrics—suede, corduroy, and corn kernel fabric
- Easy-to-clean liners
Pamper your Great Dane with the ultimate place to curl up for a snooze. The Furhaven Orthopedic couch bed features egg-crate foam to ensure a rejuvenating sleep.
One reviewer confirmed this bed’s top-notch quality, stating that even after a year of use and regular washing, it still holds up beautifully.
- Orthopedic foam material supports aching joints and muscles
- Has superior airflow
- Faux fur surface makes this bed extra snuggly
- Furhaven uses environmentally conscious foam
- Water-resistant base
- The removable, machine-washable cover makes cleanup a breeze
If affordability is the key factor guiding your shopping decision, check out the line of Midwest Bolster Pet Beds. This bargain bed is made in a variety of sizes, including a jumbo size that’s perfect for giant breeds like your Great Dane. They’re also ideal for extra padding in his crate.
- Affordable price
- Soft, synthetic fur top
- Padded bolster cushions give your Great Dane a place to rest his sleepy head
Sold in three neutral shades and four sizes ranging from Small to XXL Jumbo, PetFusion’s Ultimate Dog Bed will become a favorite spot for your Great Dane to snooze.
The memory foam promotes joint health, leading to improved mobility and energy—exactly what your furry friend deserves.
- Comfortable memory foam is ideal for senior or arthritic dogs
- The waterproof liner adds extra protection
- Removable, washable cover
- Outer bolsters provide a comfy surface to rest tired heads
- Made with skin-safe material
Three inches of shredded memory foam fill this Brindle bed, making it breathable and gentle on your dog’s limbs. They offer a range of sizes and colors. The bed is also designed to fit in most standard dog crates.
- Portable and lightweight
- Shredded foam allows for airflow and breathability
- Soothes canine joint pain
- Brindle donates dog beds to a local shelter. Daily!
Live in a hot climate? Give your Great Dane some relief with an elevated dog bed by Kuranda.
This line comes in a range of sizes—the XXL size is large enough to comfortably support your giant dog. Its sturdy aluminum legs can hold even the heaviest of dog breeds. Plus, they’re virtually chew-proof.
The rave reviews say it all: 87 percent of customers gave this bed a 5/5 star rating on Amazon!
- Elevated design allows airflow and keeps your dog cool
- Made with extremely durable vinyl
- Easy to clean
- Perfect for outdoor use
With its stylish—and washable—denim blue cover, this bed is a solid option for larger breeds. Benefits of this orthopedic dog bed include alignment support, comfortable surface temperature, and pressure point relief. All important considerations for your Great Dane.
Plus, this bed comes with a bonus brown suede cover—perfect for those times when the denim cover is in the wash.
- Gel-infused memory foam with temperature regulating properties
- Resistant to mold, mildew, bacteria, and dust mites
- Anti-skid bottom
- Waterproof internal liner
Your Great Dane deserves a peaceful and restful sleep. With the proper dog bed, you can help maintain his health while ensuring he wakes up every morning rejuvenated and ready to take on the day with you.
As any Great Dane lover can attest—it just doesn’t get better than that.